Skip to content

Ask An Expert

At Dognition, we believe that shared inquiry and discovery fuel the greatest benefits for dogs and their owners. Therefore we’ve partnered with the world’s leading canine cognition experts and canine-focused institutions/organizations.

Now, you also have the opportunity to inquire and learn from our experts.

Scientific Advisory Board- The experts on dog cognition and psychology
Dr. Brian Hare
Dr. Juliane Kaminski
Dr. Josep Call
Dr. Richard Wrangham
Dr. Laurie Santos
Dr. Adam Miklosi

Expert Panel- The experts on everything else dog!
Kyra Sundance – Expert Trainer
Victoria Stilwell – Expert Trainer
Nina Ottosson- Dog Toy Designer
Richard Hawkins – Vet
Paul Mundel – Canine Companions of Independence
Betsy Saul – Petfinder Foundation

22 results found

1. Answered- Can dogs read people's emotions?

Research out there says that dogs know what you're feeling and I've noticed that my dog picks up on when someone in the house is mad or sad, but I wanted to know how true this was.

32 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Answered- Do dogs have memories?

As a college student I am gone for long periods of time while at school for the semester, yet every time I return home my dog is extremely excited to see me. Does he remember me specifically? Or is his excitement a result of the excitement of my human family members?
    -Olivia

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

An answer from Dr. Josep Call:

Dear Olivia,
    Thank very much for your inquiry, which touches on a crucial topic in the area of Animal Cognition.

There is no question that dogs remember several aspects of their daily lives including things like the places where they go (e.g., the park) and the routes that they take to get there (e.g., by the lake rather than across the woods), the activities that they engage in (e.g., playing catch), the objects that they use for those activities (e.g., Frisbee) as well as the people that share those activities with them. Without memory not only those activities would be vastly impaired, but even some more basic things like recognizing familiar smells and people or learning new things would be impossible for dogs.

Memory plays such a crucial role in our mental lives as well as those of our furry best friends that it…

2 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base